Please login or register. November 16, 2018, 03:36:07 AM

Myoko Self Contained accommodation

Funky self contained family accommodation right in the heart of Akakura Onsen

Cheap Japan Ski Holidays

Get great prices on Japan ski hotels!

Author Topic: Snow Park  (Read 5218 times)

MAZ

• Ski Schooler
    • View Profile
Snow Park
« on: July 03, 2008, 09:28:42 PM »
Hi,

Just wondering which area has the best park? What's the night life like in Myoko City?

Cheers...

myokoguy

• Administrator
  • Ski Jumper
    • View Profile
Re: Snow Park
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 10:26:35 PM »
Hey Maz,

Myoko City is a bit of a misnomer. MC is a fairly recent conglomeration of Myoko Village, Myokokogen Town and Arai City. Nearly all resorts are focused around Myokokogen.

If you're looking for raging nightclubs till dawn, etc. - forget it. If you're looking for some cool little bars and restaurants to hang out with friends at then you're probably best looking at Akakura Village. From here it's also easy to access the nearby lifts.

A few folk also like Suginohara (has the longest run in Japan - 8.6km) but there's not really much in the way of nightlife. It's more like - snowboard/ski, hot spring, few drinks, bite to eat, another hot spring, sleep, get up and repeat.

Good luck! MG

Myoko-Nagano Ski Japan and Travel Forum

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 10:26:35 PM »

Cheap Japan Ski Holidays

eonoack

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 05:20:45 PM »
I went to Akakura in with a group of people from Yokota AB whose skills ranged from total beginner to a couple of us who were expert skiers and advanced snow boarders. The first day it was a Sunday and still completely packed- walking thru the lobby at our hotel took nearly 15 minutes just to get to the locker area. Once on the slopes and leaving the crowded begginer areas behind, it was very nice. The terrain is not much if you have been to some big mountains in the N.America/Europe, but there are a few off piste opportunities to be found if you keep your eyes open. We found a few untracked powder lines nearly every run after the morning explorations to the various sides of the mountain. Plenty of on mountain eateries also with mostly Japanese food, but some options other than that.

We skied the first day, and when the night skiing opened we went and ate dinner without taking off our gear, and switched to our boards... this is when some of the effort the resort put into crafting some huge tabletops and various jumps payed off. We'd been eyeing them during the day, but the huge crowds kept us away. As night fell the lines disappeared and we made run after run getting huge air on a slope right in front of the hotel dinning room. It started snowing just as we were finishing and we knew it would be a great day tomorrow.

Waking up we jumped to look out the window first thing- about 10 inches or more of new on the bottom! Seeing as so many of the guests had checked out the previous afternoon, we took our time eating breakfast, but still managed to be on the hill before 10am. Zooming on the fastest route to the top, the snow got deeper and more fluffy. By far the best day of skiing I've had in Japan so far and I've been to a dozen resorts in over 20 trips this year. I'll return here next year without any hesitation.

Being mostly disapointed with the skiing terrain on Honshu this has been the best resort I've visited here. I've been to Hakuba, Naeba... long list of what seem to be considered the "best" Japanese resorts and been unimpressed, with so much flat terrain, and no off-piste. This place is only marginally better terrain than the rest of Honshu, but pays more attention to it's halfpipes, tabletops, and the rest of snow park creations than almost any resort I've been to anywhere. With a bit of powder the trees, many ridges, and all the faces under the lifts open up and become totally skiable! Usually if it's unskiable at a Japanese resort, it stays that way regardless of amount of powder.