Please login or register. July 22, 2018, 03:52:42 PM

Myoko Self Contained accommodation

Funky self contained family accommodation right in the heart of Akakura Onsen

Cheap Japan Ski Holidays

Get great prices on Japan ski hotels!

Author Topic: Ski jumps anyone? And abandoned lifts.  (Read 4591 times)

Brisbane_Bob

• Snow Plougher
    • View Profile
Ski jumps anyone? And abandoned lifts.
« on: January 28, 2009, 12:45:29 AM »
Evening all,

I found this whilst I was doing a bit of research tonight: http://www.skisprungschanzen.com/e_index.htm?/jpn/jpne_myoko.htm Didn't have a chance to have a crack at them myself while I was there. hehe

When we were waiting at the station we saw a ski jump, a hotel and what looked like some ski lifts just near the station that are obviously abandoned. I wondered about it so was doing some surfing to see if I can find out. Still none the wiser. Did find a whole lot of other stuff to keep me interested though :)

So, anyway, could some of you locals please be able to fill me in? Just curious. Ta.

Brissy Bob

myokoguy

• Administrator
  • Ski Jumper
    • View Profile
Re: Ski jumps anyone? And abandoned lifts.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 06:23:26 PM »
That place went bust in about 1994 or 1995 I think Bob. It was called Panorama Park. Great location. You still sometimes still see local kids climbing up the top of the hill near the old summit to get in some nice powder runs. Maybe someone with a snow cat could make some money.

I've ridden/explored the area in summer in few times. The old chalet up the top looks like it was pretty nice in it's time. Some rooms are still locked. Some that are open still have bedding prepared, hotels soaps, toilet rolls crimped, etc. It's quite eery. I checked out an abandoned cabin over on the other side of the mountain and it looks like they just walked out one day and never came back. There were folded newspapers from 1995, teatowels hanging, skis stored away. Some really nice places up there. It's a real waste.

I presume it was a victim of the burst economic bubble in the early 90's. A lot of these smaller resorts just couldn't stay open. Still a few more to come I think.

Cheers,
MG

Myoko-Nagano Ski Japan and Travel Forum

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 06:23:26 PM »

Cheap Japan Ski Holidays

pikaski

• Powder Hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 10:00:22 PM »
U shud try going inside. I went in there a cpl yrs ago thru a brkn door - jus the gym. It was full o skis, boards, clothes. theres a little voice alarm tellin u not cum inside.  :o Mst be a trigger somewhere.  ??? Luv to board dat hill but dun wanna climb up.
Look! Out on the slopes...it's Pikachu-ski!