Please login or register. July 22, 2017, 01:52:35 AM

Myoko Self Contained accommodation

Funky self contained family accommodation right in the heart of Akakura Onsen

Cheap Japan Ski Holidays

Get great prices on Japan ski hotels!

Author Topic: Use of UHF radios in Japan?  (Read 6403 times)

martinlevins

• Ski Schooler
    • View Profile
Use of UHF radios in Japan?
« on: December 24, 2008, 02:01:38 PM »
Hi

I'm coming to Myoko on the 11th Jan with about a dozen others and we usually carry a UHF (477MHz) handheld with us to assist with communication during the day.

This worked well in Niseko, but I hear that these radios are not legal in Japan now.

Anyone know? Could we bring them to Myoko and not be fined? Or should we buy a few in Narita?

TIA
Martin
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 04:10:05 PM by myokoguy »

myokoguy

• Administrator
  • Ski Jumper
    • View Profile
Re: Use of UHF radios in Myoko?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 06:55:20 AM »
Not sure Martin. I've seen them used before but not recently. Hopefully someone else will know. I'd ask around a bit but I'm just heading out the door for a few days break. I'll try to get back to you later if I find out anything.

Cheers, MG

Myoko-Nagano Ski Japan and Travel Forum

Re: Use of UHF radios in Myoko?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 06:55:20 AM »

Cheap Japan Ski Holidays

myokoguy

• Administrator
  • Ski Jumper
    • View Profile
Re: Use of UHF radios in Japan?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 04:08:11 PM »
Sorry Martin, just got back last night and can now update you. You must leave your UHF radios at home unfortunately :( The simple solution to stay in touch in Myoko is to use 3G mobile phones with international roaming or you can easily hire phones cheaply through Mobell (link). SMS text messages also work very well.

The Japanese Government has ruled, quite reasonably, that Australian UHF-CB radios cannot be used in Japan because they may interfere with radio communications related to disaster prevention. Australian UHF-CB radios also use the frequency band used for television broadcasting in Japan.

If you possess non-conforming radio equipment in a condition where a signal can be emitted, you will be considered to have established an illegal radio station, regardless of whether you are aware of the illegality or even whether you have used the radio equipment.

Strict penalties apply and the warning details are here (link). It's also suggests that the authorities may get tougher on this issue next season.

So unless you want to stay in Japan for a full year (on an involuntary basis), or have a million yen you no longer need, better leave your UHF-CB radios in Australia.

This is also discussed on a Niseko blog here

Cheers, MG

Reference
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 04:10:53 PM by myokoguy »

martinlevins

• Ski Schooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 06:24:42 PM »
Cheers - thanks Mate

Suspected as much

Did some research myself

I think there is a Japanese UHF "family" frequency that can be used, but it is limited to 10mW which would be fairly useless in mountainous country

Thanks
Martin

myokoguy

• Administrator
  • Ski Jumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 08:20:23 PM »
It's a pity - we used to use them on school outings when we had school ski trips. I hadn't thought anything more about it until I saw your post.