Please login or register. July 22, 2017, 01:50:36 AM

Myoko Self Contained accommodation

Funky self contained family accommodation right in the heart of Akakura Onsen

Cheap Japan Ski Holidays

Get great prices on Japan ski hotels!

Author Topic: Ski Hire  (Read 6636 times)

BHB

• Ski Schooler
    • View Profile
Ski Hire
« on: September 18, 2008, 07:58:48 PM »
We hope to be in Myoko mid to late January. A family of four but only one prepared to carry own skis and boots. Could someone please let me know what the hire situation is in Akakura - extent and quality of gear. Many thanks.

myokoguy

• Administrator
  • Ski Jumper
    • View Profile
Re: Ski Hire
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 10:43:21 PM »
Many of the accommodation places have in-house ski hire or can arrange it for you BHB. Usually 2,000-2,500 per day for skis, boots and boards.

Here are some links. Only one in English.
http://www9.plala.or.jp/aoyamasports/aoyama/englishtop.htm (Akakura)
http://www.mmjp.or.jp/myokopro-ss/html/frame.htm (Ikenotaira)
http://www.green.dti.ne.jp/myokokogen/ (Ikenotaira)

Hawker or Pikaski might have some contacts they can add.

MG

Myoko-Nagano Ski Japan and Travel Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 10:43:21 PM »

Cheap Japan Ski Holidays

pikaski

• Powder Hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
We hope to be in Myoko mid to late January. A family of four but only one prepared to carry own skis and boots. Could someone please let me know what the hire situation is in Akakura - extent and quality of gear. Many thanks.

Hey BHB, Where u staying?  ??? If it's a reasonable joint they prob. will have gear onsite.  ;D Otherwise plenty of gear shops around.  would go to one of the local second-hand joints in Joetsu city and pick up some good cheap s/h gear. Prob. cheaper than renting and u can take it home.  :D :D :D
Look! Out on the slopes...it's Pikachu-ski!

BHB

• Ski Schooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 07:21:37 PM »
Many thanks for the advice.

myokoguy that was a great link to the (english) hire shop. Not only gave me an idea of prices, but a map of the village. I have spent ages looking for a map to get an idea of where the hotels are!

Which brings me to pikaski's advice. We haven't booked yet. Is that likely to be a problem? Maybe you could also advise here as I am looking for a place within walking distance of the lifts. So far have looked at Akakura Hotel Annex and the Taiko (by putting the website into the translator!), but I can see on the map that Taiko is further - do you think it is too far to walk from the Taiko?

How far is it to Joetsu and the ski shops - and how do you get there?

Thanks again for the help - I am trying to organise this trip by myself so every piece of advice is appreciated.

myokoguy

• Administrator
  • Ski Jumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 12:48:52 AM »
There's a list of some nearby places here: http://myoko-nojiri.com/hotels/akakura.htm Some are right in the village and some a bit further away. Places like the Hawk and Hare will drop you off and pick you up. Taiko is not really a long walk. The village is quite small.

Secondhand and even new equipment can be picked up very cheaply at retailers like Off House (Motto: We love annoying jingles on rote tape) in Joetsu City (opposite Jusco).

To get there catch a train to Kasugayama and walk about across the bridge. Takes about 20 minutes. Alternatively get off in Takada or Naoetsu and catch a No. 6 bus. Get off when you see Jusco. It's right by the traffic lights (near the 7-11). The train ride is about 40 minutes and the bus maybe 15 minutes. You can pick up a board and boots (if they have your size) for anywhere between A$50-A$300. There was also a big ski shop nearby but not sure if it's still open.

Good luck! MG

Elie123

• Ski Schooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 04:46:59 PM »
Thank you for sharing. This random sites luxury ski hotels trying to find the information, reviews, airfares, condos, and tips and honest advice about where you should eat, ski, sleep and play in the ski resorts you want to visit.

I am a spammer by the way.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 06:32:48 PM by myokoguy »