Please login or register. November 23, 2017, 01:39:45 AM

Myoko Self Contained accommodation

Funky self contained family accommodation right in the heart of Akakura Onsen

Cheap Japan Ski Holidays

Get great prices on Japan ski hotels!

Author Topic: Myoko Kogen to Shiga Kogen  (Read 7293 times)

Maddogvoky

• Ski Schooler
    • View Profile
Myoko Kogen to Shiga Kogen
« on: September 09, 2008, 01:19:51 PM »
My girlfriend and I are travelling to Myoko Kogen in early February 09 and will be staying for 1 week at the base of the Akakura Onsen resort. After our stay in Myoko Kogen we will be travelling to Shiga Kogen for 1 week. I was wondering if there is a direct bus from Myoko Kogen to Shiga Kogen or do we need to passby the usual Nagano Station and then catch a bus to Shiga Kogen. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

pikaski

• Powder Hound
    • View Profile
Re: Myoko Kogen to Shiga Kogen
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 12:47:02 AM »
Yeah, sorry dude - that's the easiest way if you dunno the way.  ???

You could catch the shuttle to Tangram from Myokokogen station, then a coupla local buses from there. But hey, train to Nagano, bus to Shiga will be heaps less hassle.

Have fun - Feb is awesome in Aka
Look! Out on the slopes...it's Pikachu-ski!

Myoko-Nagano Ski Japan and Travel Forum

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 12:47:02 AM »

Cheap Japan Ski Holidays

myokoguy

• Administrator
  • Ski Jumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 02:20:48 PM »
Without a good knowledge of Japanese and fair spirit of adventure I'd say the easiest way is a train to Nagano Station (about 45 minutes) and then catch the a bus from the East exit to Shiga (about 1 hour).

Good luck! MG

Maddogvoky

• Ski Schooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 10:46:53 AM »
Thanks guys for the reply.
I was thinking of just getting the usual train/bus route. From Myoko, back to Nagano and then direct bus to Shiga.
I'm so looking forward to Myoko Kogen. Looking forward to a real Japanese boarding experience, away from the Nakuba and Niseko Aussie crowd. Any recommendations of good local eateries, sake bars and karaokies around Myoko? Any private onsen in Myoko that are for hire by the hour near the Akakura base?

myokoguy

• Administrator
  • Ski Jumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 04:45:21 PM »
I'm not sure about a private onsen MD. But there are so many establishments with onsen it might be possible - just ask around when you get here. Also, when we've (family of 4) travelled to other parts of Japan I've found on occasion that a hotelier will say "It's very quiet at x time" and will let us look the door for a little while. If granted such opportunity please don't be tempted to, let's say, 'defile' the place with your partner. ;) They take a very dim view of such things.

There are a few places in Akakura Village and you'll probably find something you'll like. I don't like to make too many recommendations as some parties may be offended if not included (got to maintain the wa). It's not a raging Niseko place by any means. Much more to kick back with a few drinks.

Niigata is famous for it's sake and there are a few great local brands. Sechubai is the most famous in Japan - almost the Grange Hermitage of sake. In the gift shop opposite the station you can buy some great Myoko-san sake in a really cool earthenware bottle for about Y2,000.

Good luck! MG

P.S. Please come back on here after the trip and let us know how everything went.