Please login or register. November 19, 2017, 06:40:35 AM

Myoko Self Contained accommodation

Funky self contained family accommodation right in the heart of Akakura Onsen

Cheap Japan Ski Holidays

Get great prices on Japan ski hotels!

Author Topic: Akakura hotel annex and timings  (Read 5861 times)

mattiger

• Ski Schooler
    • View Profile
Akakura hotel annex and timings
« on: August 10, 2008, 11:34:55 AM »
I am looking at coming to Myoko kogen at the end of january beginning of February, is this a good time for snow and are the resorts crowded around that time of year?

Also the hotel I was looking at was the Akakura hotel annex do you know anything about this hotel?

While stying in this area is there anything (other than skiing of course) that is a must do?

What should you do for evening fun are their any local specialities etc?

Cheers
Matt

myokoguy

• Administrator
  • Ski Jumper
    • View Profile
Re: Akakura hotel annex and timings
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 10:15:14 PM »
Timing is excellent Matt - snow will be excellent! Can almost guarantee you some awesome powder.

The Annex is a nice hotel, right in the heart of Akakura Village. You can walk to the lifts easily.

What else is to do depends on what you like. Food and hot springs are two inescapables  ;D Have a look at this site for some ideas perhaps? http://myoko-nojiri.com/attractions.htm Unfortunately options are a bit more limited in winter. Zenkoji Temple in Nagano City is cool. You could maybe see it on the way through or back.

There's not much nightlife. A couple of cool little bars, karaoke joints, italian restaurant. You could try the beer hall near Ikenotaira. There's a great little okonomiyaki joint in Myoko Kogen itself called 'Yamagishi' but it's impossible to find without someone in the know, plus there's no English spoken.

Head to Jusco/Wing Market in Takada (about one hour) for a big shopping experience. If you go to 'Off House' you can pick up s/h boards super cheap. Buy a couple, take 'em home, then sell them to help pay for your trip  ;)

Have a blast!

Cheers, MG

Myoko-Nagano Ski Japan and Travel Forum

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 10:15:14 PM »

Cheap Japan Ski Holidays

Hawker

• Snow Plougher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
Actually, Joetsu has got quite a big shopping mall now called "Valor". I wouldn't give any medals for valor or shopping for that matter.
But I'd say Togakushi/Kurohime is a must see.
There's a pretty hopping bar/pub at weekends in Shin Akakura (not prudent to mention the name here perhaps) with 20+ varieties of beer and good pub-grub. Ask around on that one:)

I've found that Nagano ciy has no nightlife:( Shopping for things I can easily get in Niigata prefecture is a task as well. But the BEST bet for finding what your looking for is too walk through Akakura Onsen's village at night. Everything's mom&pop, so karaoke, dinner, etc. will be like boutique window shopping.
No matter where you go, there you are