Please login or register. September 22, 2017, 08:47:10 PM

Myoko Self Contained accommodation

Funky self contained family accommodation right in the heart of Akakura Onsen

Cheap Japan Ski Holidays

Get great prices on Japan ski hotels!

Author Topic: Seki Onsen Feb 13 2010  (Read 5199 times)

smitty484

• Liftie
    • View Profile
Seki Onsen Feb 13 2010
« on: February 20, 2010, 07:39:56 AM »
Today my brother and I started the day thinking we were going to hit up Suginohara. The plan had originally been to go to Seki Onsen today, however after reading the pamphlet in the hotel it said the bus there only ran Tue, Wed and Thur. However, on the walk to the Suginohara bus, we stumbled across the Seki bus (there must have been a translation error on the pamphlet) and off we went.

Has been snowing in the area light to moderately for the past couple of days and I am guessing that there has been 30/40cm or so of fresh stuff at Seki. Snow was pretty good quality, not as dry as Furano last year, but good enough!

I always assumed there were 4 lifts at Seki, but as it turns out there really are only 2 main ones accessing the runs. Note that Seki basically has no grooming, it is all just fresh stuff, however there is a single groomed run that runs around the outside of the ski are and then pops back in at the bottom.

When we arrived we were disappointed to see that the top lift was not running, which meant everyone was on the lower lift. Being a Saturday and with only the bottom lift running it meant that the obvious stuff got tracked out pretty quickly. However, around lunch time the top lift (a single chair) was opened and we got to smash through all the fresh stuff up top.

For lunch we ate at the single restaurant on the mountain and had fun trying to converse with the lady behind the till. I'm pretty sure we were the only western people in all of Seki and barely anyone spoke much english... However I like it like this!

Once the top was tracked out after lunch, we decided to check out the tree areas to skiers left of the bottom lift and managed to find fresh tracks for the remainder of the day, however the runs were pretty short.

The interesting part of the day really happened when trying to get back to Akakura. In the morning on the bus we paid for a return ticket and the bus driver pointed out where he would pick us up at 4pm. We got to the bus stop at about 3.35pm, but by 4.20pm no bus had come. It was at the point we thought we were pretty farked as we only had our return ticket, no enough cash for a taxi back to Akakura and even if we did I had no idea how to call a taxi. In the end we walked back to the information desk near the bottom ski lift and luckily ran into a young bloke who I tried to explain our situation to. Top bloke in the end as he organised for my brother and I to get a lift back with some old dude in his car. Was pretty funny squeezing all our gear and the two of us into a small car with a male driver and three old women in the back...none of whom spoke english.

Anyway to give the place a wrap up, it's a pretty small ski area but has more steeps than most of the main areas of Myoko. The powder is abundant, but if I was to go back it would be with a car, I would do it on a week day and I would probably organise a half day pass. Whatever you do, DON"T get the bus from Akakura, or if you do, have a back up plan!

I've included a link below to a short video I took on my helmet cam. It's early on in the day and is a run from the top of the bottom lift so it's pretty mellow. I haven't edited it yet, and I apologise for the lack of sound, I haven't worked that feature out yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAfSutgYqtY

myokoguy

• Administrator
  • Ski Jumper
    • View Profile
Re: Seki Onsen Feb 13 2010
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 06:36:09 PM »
Well, apart from the bus, it looks/sounded like a good day at Seki Smitty. Will have a word with some people about what might have happened with the bus - that's very un-Japanese like.  ???

How was Ikenotaira and Suginohara?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 07:23:28 PM by myokoguy »

Myoko-Nagano Ski Japan and Travel Forum

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 06:36:09 PM »

Cheap Japan Ski Holidays

myokoguy

• Administrator
  • Ski Jumper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 10:55:54 AM »
Talked to the people in the tourist office Smitty - the bus does only run on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Not quite sure what bus got you there though! Sorry for the balls-up. Cheers, MG

smitty484

• Liftie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 04:42:10 PM »
That is really weird..The pamphlet said if only ran those 3 days, but at the bus stop near the post office in Akakura there was a bus that had Seki Onsen on it and we bought a return ticket. Also the bus only went to Seki, nowhere else....Very weird indeed! Was a great day though.